The Civic Museum Piero della Francesca in Sansepolcro is one of the most important museums in Tuscany for its exhibition and didactic profile. The museum is situated in the ancient Palazzo della Residenza or dei Conservatori (13th century), the seat of the Municipality until the sixties. The building has undergone several architectural changes, initiated by Galeotto Malatesta, lord of Rimini, whose family ruled in Sansepolcro during the fourteenth century. The heart of the museum is the Sala dei Conservatori where Piero della Francesca in 1460 created the Resurrection, emblem and symbol of the city.
Also in the Sala dei Conservatori, two other fresco fragments and a polyptych by Piero della Francesca are exhibited : the San Giuliano (c. 1460) and the San Ludovico (1460); in the adjacent room, the equally famous Polyptych of Mercy (1445-1462). Inside the museum there are also works by Matteo di Giovanni, Raffaellino dal Colle, Schiaminossi, Pontormo, Angelo Tricca, Della Robbia terracotta and other authors.